The Mayflies USA - s/t ep (1997, Clancy/Superhero)

The Mayflies have always been a back burner band for me, if only for the fact that I'm preoccupied with so many more artists.  Yet anytime I get the inclination to pop in one of their CDs, I'm instantly ushered back to the realization that this Chapel Hill, NC quartet could virtually do no wrong, delivering such flawless power pop opuses as Summertown and The Pity List.  This ep in particular strikes me as a near perfect synthesis of Matthew Sweet's most devastating hooks and Superdrag's plump guitar crunch, with the opening salvo, "The Apple" serving as the top jewel in a rather dazzling crown.  Download this, get yourself a copy of Summertown pronto and work your way forward to their remaining two albums, The Pity List (2000) and Walking in a Straight Line (2002).

01. The Apple
02. Reasons
03. Skywriting
04. After You
05. These Crayons Are Mine

https://rapidshare.com/files/2483159923/mayfliesusa.rar